Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Spiritual growth through Graphic Design


I am five weeks into the semester. I have learned a lot about my Heavenly father and myself through my Graphic Design class. I am taking a religion class where I am learning spiritually too, BUT my biggest lessons have come though art. Here are a few things to think about. 

The Principles of Design are Eternal.

 “If we strive for perfection—the best and greatest—and are never satisfied with mediocrity, we can excel”

                                                                                      ~Spencer W. Kimball 

“We must recognize that excellence and quality are a reflection of how we feel about ourselves and about life and about God. If we don’t care much about these basic things, then such not caring carries over into the work we do, and our work becomes shabby and shoddy.

Real craftsmanship, regardless of the skill involved, reflects real caring, and real caring reflects our attitude about ourselves, about our fellowmen, and about life.”

                                                                                        ~Spencer W. Kimball 


 Have you ever stopped to consider that your lack of caring or dedication to your work related to your education is a reflection of how you feel about God and about yourself? Did you also notice that he is only suggesting we do the best we personally can, not that we compare ourselves to the masters directly (aspire to reach that level, yes, but compare ourselves directly to, no)? 

The statement, “regardless of the skill involved,” really opens this up to everyone in a wonderful way. But, at the end of the day, if we have ever sluffed that assignment or just done what we felt was “good enough” it seems to show evidence of a deeper problem in our lives. 


Did you ever stop to think about your personal attitude when receiving feedback about your work? Are you humble and do you open your heart, or do you get defensive and angry about the feedback?

At the end of the day, the question is, what can you/we do about it? Give up? NO ... what will you do about your personal responsibility to become the best son and or daughter of our Heavenly Father that you can become.

                                                                                             ~Art 130 professor/BYUI

Theses are but a few flakes of gold I have gathered from my art class. I have applied them to more than one area of my life.


D&C 130: 19 “And if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence in this life through his diligence and obedience than another, he will have so much the advantage in the world to come.”

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Miss Brandy, this post is so insightful. I've never stopped to realize that my work performance might be related to my spirituality. What a wonderful comparison! Thank you for sharing your wisdom :). I love you!